Do you like brownies? I really addicted to these chocolate babies. But classic brownies is too heavy food for me.
These rich, chocolate sweet potato brownies with fudge middles made me fall in love with brownies again. I play with this brownie recipe for years, tried different ingredients. Finally, I found perfect combination and ready to share it with you. This is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, vegan and healthy food recipe. Sounds great, Isn’t it?
Kumara or sweet potato is budget vegetable available in any supermarket. It`s a surprisingly nutritious food:
- Great source of antioxidants
- They are especially high in vitamins A, C, E, and B6 and manganese
- Easier to digest than potatoes, because sweet potato contain more dietary fiber and less starch
6 Big or 12 Small Serves
- 2 Medium size Kumara (sweet potato), about 600g
- 8 Big Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Cup fine desiccated coconut
- 5 Tbsp Raw Cacao + 1 Tbsp for garnish
- 1/2 Cup of chopped cashew nuts (raw or slightly roasted)
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
+ Freeze dried raspberry or cherry for garnish
+ Square or rectangle cake pan lined with baking paper
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into chunks and place into a steamer for about 20 minutes, until they become really soft. Mash a hot sweet potato using potato masher until smooth.
- Preheat oven up to 180 ° C fan bake/ 350F fan bake
- Put pitted diced Medjool dates in the blender. Add a splash of hot water and mix well till paste condition. If dates too dry, soak it first in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together sweet potato mash, date paste, cacao powder, a pinch of salt, vanilla and syrup. Stir well.
- Add fine desiccated coconut and mix well. Mix in chopped cashew nuts.
- Spread the mix in a baking dish evenly. Bake for about 30 minutes. Chill brownies completely. Sprinkle brownies with cacao powder, using a fine sieve. Garnish with dried berries.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream. Store it uncovered in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Brownies look a little soggy when hot. Cool it completely and it will be the right texture.
- If you do not have fine desiccated coconut, It`s easy to make using a food processor. Do not overdo it. Few pulses only. Desiccated coconut releases oil quickly and turns into coconut butter.
- For best result, I recommend using good quality Raw cacao powder.
Measuring: 1 cup = 235 ml, 1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Tsp = 5 ml