A galette is a French pastry similar to a tart or a pie, it’s essentially pastry dough wrapped over a filling made from fruit and sugar.
Try this healthy, incredibly rich galette full of healthy fats and whole ingredients. You can make it with any seasonal fruit, such as strawberry, rhubarb, plums, apples, apricots or pears. But my best-ever galette is filled with ripe, sweet feijoas, and the most delectable, aromatic pulp of passion fruit. Feijoa and passion fruit season in full swing here in New Zealand. It’s a time to enjoy!
Fejoa and passion fruit is an absolutely amazing filling for pies. They work great together. Acids of passion fruit save the shape of feijoa slices and prevent oxidation. Passion fruit seeds add some nice crunch and texture to galette.
There’s nothing quite like the smell and taste of a freshly baked feijoa and passion fruit galette.
Feijoa or pineapple guava is a small attractive evergreen tree with spectacular pink, white and purple flowers. It produces sweet aromatic fruit with pale cream flesh that has a flavour blend of pineapple and strawberries and is high in vitamin C.
Feijoa one of New Zealand iconic fruits, typically available during the Autumn in a short season from March to May. Especially delicious in pies, crumbles, smoothie, ice-cream, and preserves.
buy prednisone india Tip: When you cut the surface of the feijoa it will oxidize and turn brown. I recommend to cut fruits right before using. Once cut, mix fejoa slices with some lemon juice to prevent oxidation of flesh.
- 1 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp cold coconut yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted, but not hot)
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 600g feijoas, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup passion fruit pulp
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar for dusting
- Olive oil for brush
- Sift the flour with a pinch of salt. Add yoghurt and mix using your hands until no dry flour remains and the dough just begins to collect in clumps. Add coconut oil and cold water. Continue to mix until the dough starts to come together in a coarse ball. Add 1-2 tbsp of water or yoghurt if the dough too dry. For spelt flour, you need a little bit more water than usual. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling and baking.
- Preheat the oven up to 180C (350F).
- In a mixing bowl combine feijoa, passion fruit pulp, sugar, and cornstarch. Mix it gently.
- Roll a ball of galette dough onto a floured surface into the round. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread fruit mix in the center of the dough leaving about 3 cm from edges. Fold edge of dough over fruit filling. Chill the shaped galette in the fridge for about half an hour. Brush galette crust with olive oil and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer the parchment with the galette on it to a wire rack and cool completely. Enjoy!