After Christmas we all need a detox.
Give your body a break after all the indulgences during the festive period.
A detox soup usually contains many healthiest ingredients, such as green vegetables, and puts them together in one pot. Green vegetables are used to alkalize the body, lose weight, clear the skin and cleanse the liver. Pureeing or blending the vegetables makes the soup easy to digest so your body can absorb and utilize all of the nutrients more easily. The best part about this recipe is that the focus is still on taste, so you’re getting a detox dose of vitamins and minerals without having to suffer through it.
As you know I`m a not a big fan of diets. Usually, detox food makes me feel hungry and angry. So I added to the soup a small handful of soaked cashews which helps to survive until dinner. I like to serve the dish with some pine nuts and seeded crackers. In this way, cleansing soup helps you to find balance without suffering.
If you’d like a little bit more green in your soup, add a handful of baby rocket in your blender. You don’t want to cook the rocket, just wilt it in the hot soup. One handful is enough otherwise you have a chance to get bitter taste instead of delicate peppery. Broccoli and baby rocket is a great combination, creamy, nutty and mildly pungent.
- 1 medium size broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- half of white part of the leek, roughly chopped
- a handful of baby rocket salad (arugula)
- 1/2 cup raw cashew, soaked for minimum few hours
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- seeded crackers
- pine nuts
- Heat olive oil in a big saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and celery; cook, stirring occasionally until soft. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in broccoli. Add vegetable stock and cook until broccoli is cooked through, but still firm enough to slightly resist your bite. The best way to enjoy and keep your broccoli green is to choose a high cooking temperature and a short cooking time.
- Pour the soup in a high-speed blender. Add rinsed cashew, a handful of rocket salad leaves, salt, black pepper. Process until smooth. Use caution when pureeing hot liquids. Make sure that your blender suitable for hot liquid.
- When ready to serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish with reserved chopped broccoli, pine nuts, and rocket leaves.