Nasi Goreng is the popular Indonesian fried rice cooked with a few vegetables for a healthy quick bite and traditionally served with a fried egg, crispy shallots, and quick-pickled vegetables (Acar).
Try this incredible vegetarian Nasi Goreng variation, made using rich in the antioxidant Bishokudo Rice and served with delicious turmeric tofu skewers.
In this recipe, you can find a few secret ingredients and tips to make better-fried rice than the local takeout restaurant.
I’m a big fan of rice. After years of living in Asia (in Bali), rice became a very important food in my diet. But plain white rice is a refined product, high in carbs and low in fiber. I began to notice that I gain weight very quickly when I eat rice often, especially during the chilly season.
Exploring different types I found many alternatives to the white rice. There are a lot of healthy variations of rice on the market such as brown rice, Chinese red rice, Bali red rice, black rice (Asian and Mexican), purple rice, Colusari Red Rice, brown Basmati rice, Wehani rice and many more. All rice types have different taste and purpose.
This season I have two favorites. Japanese Enzyme rice and Bishokudo Rice. You can find details about them buy prednisone for ferrets HERE. Bishokudo rice has a pleasant nutty flavor with a tone of dried fruits. It is fiber rich content and has a lower glycemic index than white rice. This best quality Japanese rice lifts up the taste of your salad, fried rice or curry to the next level.
Most people are accustomed to eating tough-skinned brown rice with a chewy texture and often soak it for up to 24 hours before cooking. The buy Pregabalin 300 mg cheap Cuckoo Rice Cookers we sell have a function which germinates the rice for the recommended 6 hours before pressure cooking the rice. Once cooked the rice is maintained at the optimum temperature for the natural fermentation to occur. The result is brown rice with a much softer texture than other cooking methods. Combine this with the recipe for Enzyme Rice and you will have an always-ready source of nutrition that will last in the cooker for up to ten days!
- 2 cups cooked Bishokudo Rice
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup finely sliced carrots
- 1 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup frozen green peas (thawed)
- 1 Tbsp sweet soy sauce Kecap Manis
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
cheap voltaren xr 100mg pain Fried rice curry paste:
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 thumb-sized chunk of ginger, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk (white part), chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
Turmeric tofu skewers:
- 1 block of extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 200 ml coconut cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 chopped lemongrass stalk
- 3 chopped kaffir lime leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch of cayenne powder
Quick pickled vegetables (Acar):
- 1/2 cup of half-moon cut carrots
- 1/2 cup of half-moon cut telegraph cucumber (deseed)
- 2 shallots, cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 sunny-side up cooked eggs
- spring onion, finely sliced
- crispy shallots*
- sliced chili
- pea shoots
- sweet soy sauce Kecap Manis*
- For pickled vegetables. Cut all vegetables into slices and place in a mason jar. Combine lukewarm water, caster sugar, salt, and vinegar in a mixing bowl and mix using a whisk until sugar is dissolved. Pour the brine over the veggies. Close the jar and refrigerate for at least an hour. Store the pickles in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- For tofu skewers. For best result drain the tofu for at least a half hour. Drained tofu absorb more sauce and have a more rich taste. Cut tofu into 2-3 cm chunks. In a shallow dish, combine hot coconut cream/milk with remaining marinade ingredients, mix well. Add tofu and ensure that it`s evenly coated. Marinate tofu at least a few hours or overnight for the best result.
- Remove tofu from marinade and thread onto 4 metal skewers. Heat the grill or large skillet with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Cook the tofu turning occasionally to golden-brown all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For Nasi Goreng paste. Place all ingredients for paste in a food processor, chopper, or blender. Process well to form a fragrant paste, scraping down the sides once or twice. You can also use a mortar and pestle.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok or large, deep frying pan. Add the cabbage and carrots, and stir-fry for a further 2 mins until the carrot is just tender. Add the spice paste and stir-fry for 1 min more. Add kecap manis, cooked rice, green peas, mung bean sprouts and green beans, and stir-fry over a high heat for 2 mins. Add the soy sauce, and toss together.
- Spoon nasi goreng onto serving plates. Top with the sunny side up cooked egg. Sprinkle with fried shallots. Drizzle with sweet soy sauce. Serve with tofu skewers, sliced chili, and pea shoots.
*Crispy Fried Shallots. Finely sliced, deep-fried shallots are used as a condiment in Asian cuisine. You can find it in an Asian supermarket.
*Kecap Manis is Indonesian sweet soy sauce made with palm sugar; slightly thicker and sweeter than regular soy sauce.