Add more colors into your life with this colorful, healthy and delicious tacos. Homemade pink corn tortillas, tender and creamy scrambled eggs, melting in your mouth seasonal avocado, salty feta cheese, and refreshing vegetable salsa. The perfect meal for lazy weekend brunch. And so romantic!
If you are not tolerant of eggs, try my vegan version of scrambled eggs.
I’m obsessed with natural food coloring for many years. We lived in Bali these days when I got this inspiration for food coloring. I remember it was a hot lazy day, I’m looked for something refreshing and got stuck near local warung (street food stall) where old lady served tropical smoothies, mixing colorful tropical fruits with condensed milk. The color of red pitaya smoothie blew my mind, it was so beautiful, intense and bright. And it was a natural coloring, that our mother nature gives us. I think I just was hungry for colors, before that moment I worked with black and white photography for about five years. It was so interesting to explore natural ingredients which could be used for food coloring. Aromatic pandan and turmeric, purple kumara, edible leaves of dracaena, spinach, beetroot, cuttlefish ink, annatto powder, dehydrated berries, and veggies. There are absolutely no limits for this research, nature gives us great opportunities.
Learn how to make these beautiful pink tortillas using a masa and beetroot. right here Masa or masa harina is a very finely ground corn flour made from corn that’s dried, cooked in water with slaked lime, ground, and dried again. More information about this essential ingredient of Mexico you can find here.
- 2 cups masa
- 1 cup room temperature beetroot puree (3/4 cup water mixed in a blender with 3-4 small cooked beets)
http://cosmetic-jar.com/tag/eyecream-jar/ Scrambled eggs:
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp full-fat cream
- knob of butter (1 Tbsp)
- black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- a handful of mixed colors cherry tomatoes
- coriander leaves
- crumbled feta cheese
- wedges of lime
- gourmet salt
- chili sauce
- For pickled onion. Finely slice sweet red onion and place in a mason jar. Combine lukewarm water, caster sugar, salt, and vinegar in a mixing bowl and mix using a whisk until sugar is dissolved. Pour the brine over the onion. Add black cardamom pod. Close the jar and refrigerate for at least an hour. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Pink corn tortillas. Blend 3-4 small cooked beetroots with 3/4 cup lukewarm water in a high-speed blender. The pink coloring is ready.
Place corn masa flour in a bowl and add beetroot puree (room temperature). Mix thoroughly for a few minutes until the dough forms a firm ball. If the mix too dry add 1/4 cup more liquid. Divide dough into 13 equal balls and cover with a damp tea towel.
There are three ways of making a tortilla. Press the dough in a Tortilla Press if you have this device. Or flatten dough ball in hands and place between two sheets of baking paper, then roll using a rolling pin. Or just roll the dough on clean, smooth surface using a rolling pin. A dough scraper is a very helpful here.
Cook tortillas on preheated un-greased cast iron pan or grill for 30 seconds, then turn and continue cooking another 45 seconds. Turn once more for 20 seconds, the tortilla should puff lightly. Take care not to overcook or they will be dry and will crack. Place the warm tortillas on top of each other in the deep ceramic pot and cover with a damp tea towel while cooking the remaining tortillas.
- Scrambled eggs. Use the freshest eggs you can find. Whip 3 eggs with one tablespoon of cream using a whisk. Whip it good. No salt at this stage. If you try to add salt in the last seconds of cooking, you will get the most tender scrambled eggs. Preheat non-stick pan on medium-low heat, add butter and eggs. Let them sit for just a second. Push the eggs from one side of the skillet to the other with a silicone spatula, forming large soft curds. This shouldn’t take longer than 2 minutes if you’re using the right heat. Season the eggs then transfer to the prepared tortillas. If you need more scrambled eggs, twice all ingredients, and cook in batches.
- Mix sliced tomato and avocado. Season with salt, pepper and lime juice. Serve tacos warm, served with vegetable, feta crumbs, fresh coriander, pickled onion, and chili sauce. Enjoy!